Part II Vocabulary and Structure (20 minutes)
Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the One answer that best completes the sentence. then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
21. As we can no longer wait for the delivery of our order, we have to _______it.
A) postpone B) refuse C) delay D) cancel
22. these books, which you can get at any bookshop, will give you _______ you need.
A) all the information
B) all the informations
C) all of information
D) all of the informations
23. Not until the game had begun_______ at the sports ground.
A) had he arrived B) would he have arrived
C) did he arrive D) should he have arrived
24. Young people are not _______ to stand and look at works of art; they want art they can participate in.
A) conservative B) content C) confident D) generous
25. Most broadcasters maintain that TV has been unfairly criticized and argue that the power of the medium is _______.
A) granted B) implied C) exaggerated D) remedied
26. These surveys indicate that many crimes go _______ by the police, mainly because not all victims report them.
A) unrecorded B) to be unrecorded C) unrecording D) to have been unrecorded
27. I have no objection _______ your story again.
A) to hear B) to hearing C) to having heard D) to have heard
28. The clothes a person wears may express his _______ or social position.
A) curiosity B) status C) determination D) significance
29. By law, when one makes a large purchase, he should have _______ opportunity to change his mind.
A) accurate B) urgent C) excessive D) advertising
30. You will see this product _______ wherever you go.
A) to be advertised B) advertised C) advertise D) advertising
31. The early pioneers had to _______ many hardships to settle on the new land.
A) go along with B) go back on C) go through D) go into
32. The suggestion that the mayor _______ they prizes was accepted by everyone.
A) would present B) present C) presents D) ought to present
33. Beer is the most popular drink among male drinkers, _______ overall consumption is significantly higher than that of
A) whose B) which C) that D) what
34. Peter, who had been driving all day, suggested _______ at the next town.
A) to stop B) stopping C) stop D) having stopped
35. I didn’t know the word. I had to _______ a dictionary.
A) look out B) make out C) refer to D) go over
36. The professor could hardly find sufficient grounds _______ his arguments in favour of the new theory.
A) to be based on B) to base on C) which to base on D) on which to base
37. There are signs _______ restaurants are becoming more popular with families.
A) that B) which C) in which D) whose
38. I think I was at school, _______ I was staying with a friend doring the vacation when I heard the news.
A) or else B) and then C) or so D) even so
39. It is said that the math teacher seems _______ towards bright students.
A) partial B) beneficial C) preferable D) liable
40. In order to show his boss what a careful worker he was, he took _______ trouble over the figures.
A) extensive B) spare C) extra D) supreme
41. --"May I speak to your manager Mr. Williams at five o’clock tonight?"
--"I’m sorry. M. Williams _______ to a conference long before then."
A) will have gone B) had gone C) would have gone D) has gone
42. You _______ him so closely; you should have kept your distance.
A) shouldn’t follow B) mustn’t follow
C) couldn’t have been following D) shouldn’t have been following
43. The growth of parta2time and flexible working patterns, and of training and retraining schemes, _______ more women to
take advantage of employment opportunities.
A) have allowed B) allow C) allowing D) allows
44. Everybody _______ in the hall where they were welcomed by the secretary.
A) assembled B) accumulated C) piled D) joined
45. Putting in a new window will _______ cutting away part of the roof.
A) include B) involve C) contain D) comprise
46. Living in the western part of the country has its problems, _______ obtaining fresh water is not the least.
A) with which B) for which C) of which D) which
47. In the _______ of the project not being a success, the investors stand to lose up to $30 million.
A) face B) time C) event D) course
48. The manager would rather his daughter _______ in the same office.
A) had not worked B) not to work C) does not work D) did not work
49. _______, he does get annoyed with her sometimes.
A) Although much he likes her B) Much although he likes her
C) As he likes her much D) Much as he likes her
50. The British constitution is _______ a large extent a product of the historical events described above.
A) within B) to C) by D) at