Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 minutes)Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
31. By the time he arrives in Beijing, we here for two days.
A)will have stayed C)have been staying B)shall stay D)have stayed
32. According to the American federal government, residents of Hawaii have the longest life :77.2 years.
A)rank C)scale B)span D)scope
33. The millions of calculations involved, had they been done by hand, all practical value by the time they were finished.
A) had lost C)would lose B)would have lost D)should have lost
34. As a public relations officer, he is said some very influential people.
A) to know C)to have been knowing B) to be knowing D)to have known
35. Our hopes and fell in the same instant.
A)arose C)rose B)raised D)aroused
36. With the development in science and technology man can make various flowers before their time.
A) be bloomed C) bloomed B) bloom D)blooming
37. A season ticket _______the holder to make as many journeys as he wishes within the stated period of time.
A) entitles C)bloomed B) grants D)promises
38. _______in the office had a mistake, and the firm regretted causing the customer inconvenience.
A) Someone C) Anyone B) Some D) One
39. In recent years much more emphasis has been put developing the students productive skills.
A) onto C) over B) in D) on
40. Only a selected number of landladies in the neighbourhood have been allowed by the university to take in .
A) residents B) settlers B) lodgers D)inhabitants
41. The fire was finally brought under control, but not extensive damage had been caused.
A) before C) after B) since D) as
42. Purchasing the new production line will be a deal for the company.
A) forceful C) favorite B) tremendous D)profitable
43. Rod is determined to get a seat for the concert it means standing in a queue all night.
A) as if C) provided B) even if D) whatever
44. We hadn’t met for 20 years, but I recognized her I saw her .
A) the moment C) the moment when B) for the moment D) at the moment when
45. Though he was born and brought up in America, he can speak Chinese.
A) fluid C) fluent B) smooth D) flowing
46. Government reports examination compositions legal documents and most business letters are the main situations formal language is used.
A) in which C) on which B) at what D) in that
47. Fifty years ago, wealthy people liked hunting wild animals for fun sightseeing.
A) rather than to go C) other than going B) more than going D) than to go
48. If the building project by the end of this month is delayed, the construction company will be fined.
A) being completed C) to be completed B) is completed D) completed
49. He wrote an article criticizing the Greek poet and won and a scholarship.
A) faith C) fame B) status D) courage
50. Jack wishes that he business instead of history when he was in university.
A) studied C) had been studying B) study D) had studied
51. The older New England villages have changed relatively little a gas station or two in recent decades.
A) except for C) except B) in addition to D) besides
52. The Car Club couldn’t to meet the demands of all its members.
A) assume C) guarantee B) ensure D) confirm
53. Extensive reporting on television has helped to interest in a wide variety of sports and activities.
A) assemble C) yield B) generate D) gather
54. The president promised to keep all the board members of how the negotiations were going on.
A) inform C) be informedB) informing D) informed
55. Eating too much fat can heart disease and cause high blood pressure.
A) attribute to C) contribute to B) attend to D) devote to
56. All the tasks ahead of time, they decided to go on holiday for a week.
A) been fulfilled C) were fulfilled B) having been fulfilled D) had been fulfilled
57. This article more attention to the problem of cultural interference in foreign language teaching and learning.
A) cares for C) allows forB) applies for D) calls for
58. He was punished he should make the same mistake again.
A) unless C) if B) provided D) lest
59. Petrol is refined from the oil we take out of the ground.
A) crude C) rude B) fresh D) original
60. in the United States, St. Louis has now become the 24th largest city.
A) being the fourth biggest city C) Once the fourth biggest city B) It was once the fourth biggest city D) The fourth biggest city it was